Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Create Your Perfect Job

 Looking for the perfect job? Create it! 



Rather than spending hours and days combing the classified ads or online job postings for your ideal job, you just might find it with your current employer.I've done it. My clients and old co-workers have done it. You can, too.To illustrate, here's an example from my career. 

Eight years ago, I worked as an English teacher and teacher trainer for an international firm. I was fairly happy, but always yearned for a job as a writer.One day, I was at headquarters and met up with a textbook writer who had observed my classes the month before. She was doing exactly what I wanted to do, so I questioned her about how I might land a similar job. After a 10-minute conversation (which turned out to be a job interview!), she asked me to proofread some revisions for a new textbook. I happily accepted. 

That proofreading project led to another, which led to a writing assignment, which led to a full-time writing position within weeks. I had created exactly the job I wanted, by finding a need and proving I could fill it.It happens every day. Like the client of mine who went from package courier to sales rep. Or the cashier who became a buyer. Or my friend, who went from receptionist to graphic designer.To create your next job with your current employer, remember these three points:

The job you seek may already be available internally. But you'll never know unless you ask!

If the right job isn't available, it can be created, if you prove to management that you have the right skills and determination. 

Every conversation you have at work is a potential job interview. If enough people in your company know what you want to do, and think you can do it, you just might get the chance... sooner than you think. 

Best of luck to you! 

This guest article about Careers is by my friend and colleague,Kevin Donlin 

Kevin Donlin is President of Guaranteed Resumes. Since 1995, he and his team have provided resumes, cover letters and online job-search assistance to clients in all 50 states and 23 countries.  






No comments:

Post a Comment