Monday, July 4, 2011

Don't argue with the interviewer

By Tony Haley

This week I had a number of candidates interviewing for an opportunity with one of my customers. Among the candidates was someone I considered to be probably the strongest candidate, certainly in terms of skill and experience.


After the interview, I spoke to the candidate first and her feedback was positive. She said:

"I think they liked me. We got on very well and I was able to put my point across although he did disagree with me to start with. I could certainly work for him as he listened to what I had to say. I thought we had some good banter." 

 
His feedback was: 

"She argued with just about every point I made. A very strong character but if she is difficult to interview, I wonder how difficult she would be to manage. She would be very disruptive in my team."
I know it sound obvious but why do candidates so it? Interviews are two way discussions. They are not a battle of wits because in the interview there will only be one loser. The candidate. 

Make your point in the interview and be confident in doing so, but avoid arguing with the interviewer unless you don't want the job. 

Needless to say she was eliminated from the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment